Hi Brad,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this, after your
fantastic reply.
It's been a very hectic week....

I tried exactly the settings you most recently posted, and unfortunately
I'm still hitting the
500 error when attempted to use the upload featured image section of the
mezzanine blog.

The strange thing is everything else works fine (collectstatic can collect,
and the static files
themselves get stored). In my amazon bucket I see two dir media/ and
static/ so all is good there.

Also I checked these settings on a plain django project and there was no
problem whatsoever uploading
media from the admin by the user.

Hmm...