My site is SSL and I haven't had any problems with s3.  It was rough
initially but I just continued to work through the problems and found a
sweet spot.  I find that it is important to understand how S3/Boto work
instead of pasting someone's settings.  Here is what I used.  I stripped
out my variables with strings, happy tinkering.  You should find all
documentation on the Boto site.

*DEFAULT_FILE_STORAGE = 'storages.backends.s3boto.S3BotoStorage'*
*AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID = 'your_id'*
*AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY = 'your_key'*
*AWS_STORAGE_BUCKET_NAME = 'bucketname'*
*STATICFILES_STORAGE = 'storages.backends.s3boto.S3BotoStorage'*
*AWS_QUERYSTRING_AUTH = False*
*AWS_S3_SECURE_URLS = True*

*AWS_S3_CUSTOM_DOMAIN = 's3.amazonaws.com/bucket_name'*
*S3_URL = 'https://s3.amazonaws.com/bucket_name'*
*MEDIA_URL = S3_URL*
*STATIC_URL = S3_URL*

For SSL to work, I had to use the aws_s3_custom_domain.  It's not
documented and buried.

For thumbnails, I use sorl_thumbnails.  I found that sorl works great with
s3 and I haven't run into any issues and implementing it within templates
was easy.

Also, make sure your images are publicly accessible.  Test your access of
your image bucket within your browser.  If you're getting an error there,
you'll need to read up on permissions.

Good luck and don't give up :)