----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sean Dague" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: I've been hacked!! (was Re: [mhvlug] One more
question.....(yeah, sure))


>
> Just out of curiosity, what was your indication that you were hacked?
>


I got up in the AM after leaving the router sys and my game sys on to
download a few albums and saw that the network was running full throttle
(downloads having been long completed). I killed the connection and
disconnected the two systems from the network. When I looked around on them
I found strang files created on the 15th and strange file names and log
files change alerts etc.

> > One of my problems is I don't really know
> > what rules Firestarter loads by default. I was trusting to faith that
they
> > were "good enough", was having another issue that I was addressing via
the
> > ng comp.os.linux.security and had a couple of other people ask "what
rules
> > are you running?" at which point I realized I better find out.....but
not in
> > time.
>
> I haven't heard of Firestarter.  Is there a URL for that?  I use Shorewall
> by default on my Mandrake box, and after taking about an hour to learn the
> config files, it is pretty straight forward.
>

http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/index.php

Well, if it took you an hour it'll take me a bit longer. My next linux
firewall is going to start with Deny all and go from there. (Even though
it's not Peter anymore I have more trust in Nortons right now then my own
knowledge..... A situation I hope to change soon....(I want my linux
router/firewall back, if for no other reason then, even though it was
running on a slower system (linux --> P233 sys vs. W2K --> 2XCel 533) My
connections appeared to be faster through the Linux box).



> > So...I'm back to running a W2K sys (the one that was supposed to be my
web
> > and game server :-(   ) with Norton's Internet Security (I actually
loaded
> > it on ALL my windows systems) until I have more knowledge of setting up
a
> > secure firewall on Linux.
> >


_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to