On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:48:47PM -0400, Wayne wrote: > Well...I think I was hacked last night (two systems involved were the router > sys and a game sys that I use to download (all the other systems were shut > down)). I shut them down and disconnected from the network, I'm going to > hose them down and re install their os's (win 98 se and Mandrake 9.1) so I > can't really give you the outputs.
Just out of curiosity, what was your indication that you were hacked? > One of my problems is I don't really know > what rules Firestarter loads by default. I was trusting to faith that they > were "good enough", was having another issue that I was addressing via the > ng comp.os.linux.security and had a couple of other people ask "what rules > are you running?" at which point I realized I better find out.....but not in > time. I haven't heard of Firestarter. Is there a URL for that? I use Shorewall by default on my Mandrake box, and after taking about an hour to learn the config files, it is pretty straight forward. > So...I'm back to running a W2K sys (the one that was supposed to be my web > and game server :-( ) with Norton's Internet Security (I actually loaded > it on ALL my windows systems) until I have more knowledge of setting up a > secure firewall on Linux. > > Sooooo!!!! Can anyone point me to a good website or a good book (iptables > for dummies maybe....) to better understand what I need to do to set up a > secure firewall? Starting with Porkchop's iptables tutorial on the MHVLUG website is a good first start. You might also want to check out http://www.shorewall.net/ for more info on shorewall as well. Also, make sure to run 'nmap' against your machine from a remote box as soon as you think your firewall is good. This will help sanity check things. Also, think really hard about what you need running, and what ports you enable. In most cases, all you need is ssh. After that you should configure ssh to not allow root logins, and even better, not allow passwords (only use keys). Beyond that, make sure that you follow all the updates for your distro. -Sean -- __________________________________________________________________ Sean Dague Mid-Hudson Valley sean at dague dot net Linux Users Group http://dague.net http://mhvlug.org There is no silver bullet. Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down. __________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________ mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug
