martian67 [martia...@gmail.com] wrote:

> It is extremely clear, no non-ISC licensed/similarly licensed
> software will be imported into base. Peroid.

I don't know about that.  Quite a bit of GPL software is now being incorporated
into the base tree.  In fact, Theo is almost finished importing GCC 4.6.1,
directly into the kernel for faster compiles.  Each stage of GCC becomes a
short-lived kernel thread, it's quite an interesting model (Apparently avoiding
context switches cuts compile time in less than half!)

Miod made some progress on replacing our outdated libc with glibc.  IIRC, the
main desire there was to fix important POSIX compatibility issues, and to start
replacing the outmoded "strlcat" concept with a secure version of strcat.
Anyways, that's not all, Henning's project to replace PF with a port of
iptables (to get their fast stateful filtering code) is almost finished!

Here is perhaps the most interesting part.  There was recent talk about
replacing OpenSSH with a version of Tectia SSH (to satisfy OpenBSD enterprise
users who are threatening to cut funding to the project if Active Directory
support isn't finished.)  But, I'm not sure if Tectia's evaluation-only, binary
version is going to be accepted into the tree without some kind of source code
audit.  Theo has been talking to Tatu Ylonen about getting a copy of the source
code (unfortunately under NDA) so that an OpenBSD code audit could be
performed.  Conveniently, we only need to run Tectia SSH under Linux emulation
-- binary builds will be handled by Tectia and posted to their web site.  (As
an aside, the kernel implementation of GCC 4.6.1 will be faster after this, it
won't be busy building OpenSSH anymore.)

--
the preceding comment is my own and in no way reflects the opinion of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff