On 2012-03-11, Kaya Saman <kayasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I do know these without even needing to read the documentation...
> however even **IF** I tried to compile on one of those platforms which I
> do all the time.... I never need to adjust system variables or tell the
> configure script what compiler or other I'm using as it is intelligent
> enough to autodetect it.

You don't usually need to run autoconf to regenerate the configure
script unless you edit configure.in or other m4 files.
The software authors are supposed to do that for you as
part of their release process

Pretty sure there is some selection mechanism for different autoconf
versions on FreeBSD as well but maybe they picked a default version
(at least by making it an explicit requirement OpenBSD users are
less likely to be affected by incompatible autoconf versions).