On 03/11/2012 10:34 PM, Ted Unangst wrote:
On Sun, Mar 11, 2012, Kaya Saman wrote:
try: automake --version
       autoconf --version

The messages should be self-explanatory if you didn't define certain
environment variables, e.g., I have this in my environment:
automake --version
autoconf --version

come up with this

# automake --version
Provide an AUTOMAKE_VERSION environment variable, please
# autoconf --version
Provide an AUTOCONF_VERSION environment variable, please
How are those messages not self explanatory?  Did you read them?
Sure I read them it's a bit difficult not to!

I also managed to get round them by providing the versions:

eg. automake-1.11 --version

my issue was how to get the Ntop config script to understand that automake and autoconf **are** installed on the system!!!

Luckily a friendly person did explain that I should first **export** the versions then run the config gen script which indeed worked!!!

export AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.11  AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.67

However, please note that am still learning OpenBSD after coming over from Linux and FreeBSD and additionally I am NOT a programmer or even good at programming!!!!

My main base in fact is network engineering so forgive me if I don't know the intricate details of the OpenBSD OS....

Using FreeBSD I would just do this:

cd /usr/ports/*/ntop
make install clean

and providing my **ports** tree is uptodate it will work flawlessly. Additionally on Linux for RPM based would be yum install ntop or DEB based would be apt-get install ntop

Now I do know these without even needing to read the documentation... however even **IF** I tried to compile on one of those platforms which I do all the time.... I never need to adjust system variables or tell the configure script what compiler or other I'm using as it is intelligent enough to autodetect it.

I understand OpenBSD is different and I'm trying to get used to it but please cut new users some slack as not everyone is God's gift to computing....... {I don't say this as an attack or with any bad intentions just frustration at how unforgiving this list is sometimes}

Regards,

Kaya