On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:44:15AM +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:

> >>my issue was how to get the Ntop config script to understand that
> >>automake and autoconf **are** installed on the system!!!
> >>
> >>Luckily a friendly person did explain that I should first **export** the
> >>versions then run the config gen script which indeed worked!!!

This is very very basic Unix knowledge.

> >>However, please note that am still learning OpenBSD after coming over
> >>from Linux and FreeBSD and additionally I am NOT a programmer or even
> >>good at programming!!!!

You're not very good at system admin either.

> >One exclamation point is enough.
> >>Using FreeBSD I would just do this:
> >>
> >>cd /usr/ports/*/ntop
> >>make install clean
> >>
> >>and providing my **ports** tree is uptodate it will work flawlessly.
> >>Additionally on Linux for RPM based would be yum install ntop or DEB
> >>based would be apt-get install ntop

This does work under OpenBSD too. Especially, as henning pointed out,
we have working packages, so pkg_add ntop will work.

If you want a newer version, the first thing to do, especially when you're
a complete noob with respect to ports, is to ask if someone else is working
on them.

> >>Now I do know these without even needing to read the documentation...
> >>however even **IF** I tried to compile on one of those platforms which I
> >>do all the time.... I never need to adjust system variables or tell the
> >>configure script what compiler or other I'm using as it is intelligent
> >>enough to autodetect it.
> >>
> >The configure script is not part of the operating system, it is part of the
> >package/tarball, if you're using something that needs automake/autoconf
> >you're probably checking out development versions of software and then
> >complaining to the OS developers who have nothing to do with it.

Also, we're Unix. Not Linux. There's a fairly big separation between the
base system AND the ports.

autoconf is a gnu tool, and a very flawed one
at that. Which explains why you might need to install  several ones
concurrently.

There are sign posts THAT BIG  all over the place that explain how the
autoconf/automake/metaauto packages tie together.

> >>I understand OpenBSD is different and I'm trying to get used to it but
> >>please cut new users some slack as not everyone is God's gift to
> >>computing....... {I don't say this as an attack or with any bad
> >>intentions just frustration at how unforgiving this list is sometimes}

The more you rant, the more you will get flamed, it's as simple as that.

> .....actually this list may become really quiet then??? As in all of
> my 1 week being here not much help goes on just arguments and
> flames.

So what ?  you got all the help you needed with respect to your original
question, for crying out loud !   It's likely the initial messages were
not to your liking, but guess what ? it's your fault ! nobody here is
going to figure out that someone clueless enough about Unix to not know
about environment variables is going to embark on compiling a very
system-dependent tool on his own !!!

So, hey, you want to be liked on this list ? don't get so defensive at
the first hint that you're a complete newbie. Shove the angst, feel the
love.