* Kaya Saman <kayasa...@gmail.com> [2012-03-12 01:45]:
> I do understand that compiling software is part of UNIX

for a pure user, no, not really. at least not any more.

> >>Using FreeBSD I would just do this:
> >>
> >>cd /usr/ports/*/ntop
> >>make install clean
> >>
> >>and providing my **ports** tree is uptodate it will work flawlessly.
> >>Additionally on Linux for RPM based would be yum install ntop or DEB
> >>based would be apt-get install ntop
> >>
> >Great story.
>
> Uh sorry.... was just trying to stress or rather emphasize my point.
> I think eventually the only thing that got stressed was me :-(

in openbsd, you just pkg_add ntop.

now if that version isn't waht you want, you update the port (and
submit it) - and dive into ports developers land.

> Would it not just be easier and cleaner to create a new list for
> newbies? That way the more advanced stuff could be taken care of on
> this list and only people willing to help others could post useful
> comments and help on the other list.

the blind leading the blind leads nowhere. there have been attempts in
that direction.

> As in all of my 1 week being here not much help goes on just
> arguments and flames.

happens every now and then. it's not that we particularily like that,
but that's apparently the price for an open list.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP