Jan Stary schreef op zo 30-12-2012 om 12:24 [+0100]:
> On Dec 30 10:43:00, m.vandu...@jonker.nl wrote:
> > I'm migrating my data from an ext3 partition (formatted under Debian
> > 6.0, sparc64) to my new i386 OBSD system.
>
> You need to give more detail. You installed an i386 obsd machine,
> and did what? Took an ext3fs disk out of a Debian sparc64 machine,
> put it in the new obsd machine? How did you mount it?
> How exactly are you "migrating" it?

That is correct. And I mounted it mount_ext2fs /dev/wd0i /mnt.
The migration was just a simple cp command, but like I said, it even
fails a "simple" md5 command.

> > When copying I found out that some files weren't copied correctly and
> > returned the error: "read error: Invalid argument".
>
> *Some* files. Other files copied correctly?
> Can you tell a pattern of which was which?

I haven't found any pattern in the files which fail and which succeed.
There are no special characters in the file-names and the files can be
successfully accessed via an FFS partition once copied.
And the content of a file should never be an issue when trying to
retrieve data.

> > The files are usable when mounting the disk under i386 Debian, so it's
> > not an cpu-architectural problem.
>
> So, you put the same sparc64 disk into an i386 Debian machine,
> and did what exactly? Copied the whole thing over, with cp,
> without a read error?

I booted the same i386 machine with a debian live-disk and I could
access the disk without any problems.
After that I placed the disk back in my sparc64 box and configured NFS
to transfer the data to my OBSD system.

> > Other programs trying to operate on these files via ext2fs also fail
> > with the same notion, (e.g. md5). And extracting these files from a
> > tarball also result in the same error.
>
> What tarball?

I also tried placing the "corrupted" files in a tarball under Debian to
see if it could have anything to do with file-names or whatever, but
once the "corrupted" files were reached it gave me the same read error.
(this was also done on the ext3 fs)

> > The ls command does succeed and shows the correct information
> > (file-size, access-time, etc).
> >
> > When moving these files over via nfs the problem doesn't occur and the
> > files are saved correctly on my ffs partition.
>
> That (or scp) is how I always copied files
> from one FS/OS/arch to a completely different FS/OS/arch.

And my point isn't the migration of my data. There is a work-around so I
already fixed that. My point is that there apparently is a bug in the
ext2fs driver and I want to locate the source of the problem, but I
don't know how (yet).

I kept my old disk still available for debugging purposes, but I will
want to format it to ffs someday in the future. So I want to look into
this as soon as possible.