On 2012 Dec 30 (Sun) at 16:26:01 +0100 (+0100), Martijn van Duren wrote:
:Jan Stary schreef op zo 30-12-2012 om 15:36 [+0100]:
:> > > > > > When moving these files over via nfs the problem doesn't occur and
the
:> > > > > > files are saved correctly on my ffs partition.
:> > > > >
:> > > > > That (or scp) is how I always copied files
:> > > > > from one FS/OS/arch to a completely different FS/OS/arch.
:> > > > >
:> > > > And my point isn't the migration of my data. There is a work-around so
:> > > > already fixed that.
:> > >
:> > > That's not a workaround. You cannot take a disk holding
:> > > a certain filesystem from a certain OS on a certain architecture,
:> > > put it into a different machine of a different architecture,
:> > > running a different OS, mount it as a different filesystem,
:> > > and just expect it to work. Going through a defined protocol
:> > > such as NFS of SCP is the normal way.
:> > >
:> > This should not be an issue (this is also my response to Rogier). Ext3
:> > is nothing more than ext2 with extra journaling features enabled,
:>
:> So in particular, the ext3 inode structure
:> is precisely the ext2 inode structure?
:
:Yes [1]
:
:>
:> > If a filesystem isn't a "defined protocol" then it shouldn't be offered
:> > as a mountable filesystem.
:>
:> Nobody is offering ext3 as a mountable filesystem on OpenBSD.
:>
:
:And that's why I'm mounting it as an ext2 filesystem and not as a
:journaled ext3.
:So until you can point me to some (backwards-)incompatible differences
:between the two filesystems I'm convinced that there shouldn't be a
:problem and I want to find out what causes this anomaly.
:

Feel free to submit patches.  We are certainly interested in better 3rd
party filesystem support.

--
You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you
can with just a kind word.