On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Brad Smith <b...@comstyle.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 02:10:45PM +0100, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 06:53:43PM -0500, Brad Smith wrote:
>> > <.................................> It'll be a lot easier to have an HTML5
>> > compliant browser with support for WebRTC all over the place then it will
>> > be to get some of these services using proprietary protocols, plugins, and
>> > host apps to be ported all over the place.
>>
>> I'm not sure it's all that easy. Effectively, HTML5 turns out being equal to
>> OOXML and flash in terms of reimplementation possibility: albeit quite
>> trivial
>> to reimplement in terms of specs availability, the task is too huge to
>> undertake for a community project.
>
> Which community is this relevant to? A niche browser literally no one uses?
>
> The relevant rendering engines that count already have support and its much
> easier to reimplment WebRTC over Flash. WebRTC is fully open spec and has
> already been done. Flash is not and has not been done.

not to give the impression that I care much about flash (i do not).
however, i was under the impression adobe had opened the
specifications[1] to its flash technology.

regardless, i find it very ironic how something that was initially
designed to be a thin-client (i.e., the web-browser) has grown to the
monster it is. as pointed out by someone else (sorry didn't keep track
of messages or even threads that closely, since it isn't really a
topic of choice atm) it is amazing how much software, say, firefox
requires. e.g., pulling in dbus. someone said (again I forget who)
that dbus is small ... still it is crap i don't want on my system
regardless of how small it may be. but hey, i digress ... the world
has bigger problems than what is being hashed out here.

cheers,
--patrick

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf.html