On 07/16/13 22:25, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are the various cvs mirrors allowing compression? I tried with cvs -z 5. I
> currently sync from anoncvs3.usa and I think it doesn't, atleast the option
> of tcpdump -A didn't show me any decompression activity, just ssh packets
> being sent. top also didn't show any unzip or tar in the -I option....
>
> If any mirror admin allows compression, please let me/us know. If they are
> willing to publicize the allowed compression level, please put in the list
> of cvs mirrors page!
>
> Syncing to src, ports, xenocara wastes many MB per month per person...and
> any help would be appreciated to cut down network traffic. I would be
> willing to be test this if it is not enabled currently, and a cvs server
> admin would like to enable it and check the load.
>
> thanks in advance

how about doing your compression at the SSH transport level, rather than
the cvs level?

something like a .ssh/config:
host MyFavMirror.com
   Compression yes

Be forewarned, I've seen /some/ systems do a horrible slow-down with
compression, but since your concern is bandwidth, probably not your issue.

Nick.