On 2013-07-17, Amit Kulkarni <amitk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are the various cvs mirrors allowing compression? I tried with cvs -z 5. I
> currently sync from anoncvs3.usa and I think it doesn't, atleast the option
> of tcpdump -A didn't show me any decompression activity, just ssh packets
> being sent. top also didn't show any unzip or tar in the -I option....

Why would it show up as tar or unzip? It isn't sending files around, it's
a client-server network protocol.

tcpdump -A won't show you anything useful for anoncvs-over-ssh because it's
inside an SSH session, you'll just see the encrypted packets. You would
notice if you were using pserver (if there are any servers left still
offering it). I don't think server admins would go out of their way to
disable it though..

> Syncing to src, ports, xenocara wastes many MB per month per person...and
> any help would be appreciated to cut down network traffic. I would be
> willing to be test this if it is not enabled currently, and a cvs server
> admin would like to enable it and check the load.

cvsync is generally more suitable for frequent syncing. If there are no
changes to the repository, it typically sends about 8MB from the client to
the server, and about 100KB from the server to the client. I haven't
measured bandwidth for cvs-over-ssh but I bet it's more, especially if
you have local diffs.

Compression is likely to be available with all cvsync servers (default
is level 1, mine uses level 5), though it doesn't really help with the
upstream bandwidth use, only really makes a difference if there are big
changes to the repository.