On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:25:34PM -0500, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are the various cvs mirrors allowing compression? I tried with cvs -z 5. I
> currently sync from anoncvs3.usa and I think it doesn't, atleast the option
> of tcpdump -A didn't show me any decompression activity, just ssh packets
> being sent. top also didn't show any unzip or tar in the -I option....
>
> If any mirror admin allows compression, please let me/us know. If they are
> willing to publicize the allowed compression level, please put in the list
> of cvs mirrors page!
>
> Syncing to src, ports, xenocara wastes many MB per month per person...and
> any help would be appreciated to cut down network traffic. I would be
> willing to be test this if it is not enabled currently, and a cvs server
> admin would like to enable it and check the load.
>
> thanks in advance

I use stuart's and nick's tricks almost daily. cvsync for everything
except when I break something in some port, in this case I just update
the directory from the cvs.

Probably other good option in your situation is to use a git or
mercurial mirror. Both are very efficients in the network use. The
problem is the public git mirrors are managed by people external to the
project (and sometimes converted with broken tools).

I did some tests some weeks ago with "git-cvs" and "hg convert" but IIRC
both use a lot of RAM. My intention was to run a public mirror of ports,
src and xenocara but I can't ask for a server with so many RAM to some
sponsor for a mostly useless project.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info