Em 22-07-2014 19:20, Raimundo Santos escreveu:
> XenServer has very nice facilities, but is a pain to tailor it in
> network area (well, almost in all areas: lots of long commands which
> are hard to remember, tricks that could vanish with updates, ...). The
> amount of work to tune it is equal or more than to use libvirt, so I
> am dropping it.
Libvirt has support for Xen. I just found it easier to use KVM because
it is not "invasive" to the guest os as Xen is. The virtio, virt mem
balloon and others just increase performance if the guest os has them.
But it does not impede it's use. Xen is very well suited for running
many machines of the same kind and with the same io/throughput needs. I
find KVM is more well suited for heterogeneous environments.
> Ubuntu Server 14.04 came out with qemu-kvm 2.0.0, with newer host
> VirtIO implementations in many areas. I am on my way to test it. I
> dislike Ubuntu as a Server, but I am not in that project to take much
> pain to manage the hosts, compile that sadly GNU-crafted things and so
> on, therefore if Ubuntu give me good performance, I will take it.
I use ubuntu as server for many years now. Of course you can get bit in
the hand every now and then (specially when upgrading from release to
release), but if you use some kind of version control for your
configuration files, the impact is minimal. It has almost the perfect
balance between stability and bleeding edge.
> Can you tell me where are you using qemu-kvm 2.0.0 and how you manage
> it (upgrades, etc.)?
Yes, I'm using 2.0.0. I manage it using the virt-manager. Since I don't
use more advanced features such as host migration, failover, etc, I find
it the perfect tool. Every now and then I need to edit the qemu xml
machine files by hand, but it's well documented. I upgrade the host
system as often as I can (I don't trust unattended upgrades, even well
configured). And for the guests, in the case of OpenBSD, I use the mtier
stable packages and kernel updates.
> Have you played with Open vSwitch as a bridging facility?
I didn't had the chance yet.
> And someone could think: why OpenBSD? Well, have you ever tried
> setting RIPv2 in other OSes?
Yes. I've played with it on other OSes. On linux quagga does the job
reasonably. But please, try OSPF, if possible, on your network. RIP
should really R.I.P.
> The more general answer: it Just Works for almost all things I need to
> setup. The only thing that I can not figure out how to do is the
> WISP's clients contracted bandwidth enforcement.
Well, pf has a very good bandwidth scheduler and some changes on 5.5
improved and simplified the system a lot. And you can use pflow(4) with
nfsen to provide some kind accounting, if you don't want to implement a
radius system.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
GPG: 4096R/77B981BC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]