On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 06:01:17AM -0700, tekk wrote:
> I'm having a bit of trouble with audio on my 5.7 box (Thinkpad T430.) Audio
> is just a bit too quiet to be comfortable even when I have everything maxed
> out. I had a similar problem on Linux and I was able to create a boost
> device to feed audio through before it went to the speakers, could I do the
> same in OpenBSD? I've thrown in dmesg as well as mixerctl and audioctl
> output, not sure if anything else is needed. I remember reading that there
> was already some boost by default as well, but it defaulted to being maxed
> for me so it's not much help.

I have the same troubles (with the same hardware). In most cases this is due
to sound channels of movie clip - 6 or more channels. 2 channels' movies
almost always playing perfect for me. Here is my solution for mplayer:

mplayer -channels 6 -af pan=2:1:0:0:1:1:0:0:1:1.3:1.3:1:1
(see http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=105601#p105601 for more info)

If it does not help, try to enable software mixer:

mplayer -softvol -softvol-max 1000
(but it damage sound when player's volume is max)

If you will find another solution for OpenBSD, please email me.