Some sound cards have two volume controls: one is for the specific
source and the other is for the whole card. Both must be at 100%
for maximum output.

On 07/23/2015 06:55 AM, ropers wrote:
I'm talking out my arse here, but:
To me, your submission vaguely reminds me of the CD Loudness War <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war>.
It sounds to me as if your hardware may be inherently a bit too quiet, but
to an extent it's possible to compensate for that by pre-processing the
signal in a similar way "Loudness War" CD vendors did when producing their
master – but this reduces dynamic range. It may well be that those Windows
drivers are doing just that, to compensate for buggy, craptastic audio
hardware.
But again, I really don't know; I just thought I'd mention this since
nobody else has.