On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 07:47:16AM -0700, Артур Истомин wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 06:01:17AM -0700, tekk wrote:
> > I'm having a bit of trouble with audio on my 5.7 box (Thinkpad T430.) Audio
> > is just a bit too quiet to be comfortable even when I have everything maxed
> > out. I had a similar problem on Linux and I was able to create a boost
> > device to feed audio through before it went to the speakers, could I do the
> > same in OpenBSD? I've thrown in dmesg as well as mixerctl and audioctl
> > output, not sure if anything else is needed. I remember reading that there
> > was already some boost by default as well, but it defaulted to being maxed
> > for me so it's not much help.
>
> I have the same troubles (with the same hardware). In most cases this is due
> to sound channels of movie clip - 6 or more channels. 2 channels' movies
> almost always playing perfect for me. Here is my solution for mplayer:
>
> mplayer -channels 6 -af pan=2:1:0:0:1:1:0:0:1:1.3:1.3:1:1
> (see http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=105601#p105601 for more info)
>
> If it does not help, try to enable software mixer:
>
> mplayer -softvol -softvol-max 1000
> (but it damage sound when player's volume is max)
>
> If you will find another solution for OpenBSD, please email me.

I'm certain it's not an issue of sound channels since most of what I'm using
sound
for is stereo videos on youtube. I'll give the -softvol parameter a shot next
time
I'm on OpenBSD; hopefully mpv has it since it's an mplayer fork, but an actual
way
to fix this would be ideal; the fact that my mix device is capping out at 174
rather
than 255 is very suspicious to me. Do you actually experience the same? When
you run
mixerctl it should say something like inputs.mix-0-2: 174,174 when you have your
volume turned all the way up. I don't remember the device name exactly but it's
along
those lines.