OpenVPN will eat cpu in userspace mostly so that one will most certainly
find use for MP systems.
IPSec runs in the kernel and will for a while be "limited" to one core,
though for many applications, that one
core will still do more crypto than needed, unless you are pushing it hard
over the VPN.

For the secure remote management and/or monitoring things found on office
vpns, and the occasional file data
move on top of email, dns, and surfing, the limit on single core vpns when
running on modern CPUs isn't that noticeable.