On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 01:27:42PM -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> Arg, I'm still having issues with the carp demote counter. I disabled
> ospfd for now, but something is still changing it. After a reboot
> without ospfd, the counter is changing between 0 and 1:

Ah, I tracked it down. I had configured another carp interface on the
new system which didn't yet have a corresponding interface on the old
system. I have the carp interfaces configured with explicit peer
addresses rather than using multicast, and evidentally the inability to
send a packet to the peer was causing the other carp interface to
twiddle the global carp demote counter, which popped up once I cranked
up the carp log level:

Oct 14 15:21:48 lisa /bsd: carp: carp1 demoted group carp by -1 to 2 (<
snderrors)
Oct 14 15:21:52 lisa /bsd: carp1: ip_output failed: 64
Oct 14 15:21:54 lisa /bsd: carp: carp1 demoted group carp by 1 to 3 (>
snderrors)
Oct 14 15:21:55 lisa /bsd: carp1: ip_output failed: 64
Oct 14 15:22:14 lisa /bsd: carp: carp1 demoted group carp by -1 to 2 (<
snderrors)
Oct 14 15:22:18 lisa /bsd: carp1: ip_output failed: 64
Oct 14 15:22:20 lisa /bsd: carp: carp1 demoted group carp by 1 to 3 (>
snderrors)

It doesn't do this if I remove the carppeer and use the default multicast;
that's an unexpected side effect of configuring a carppeer that might be
worth documenting. A down carppeer on one interface can impact the
functionality of all carp interfaces on the system.