On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Chris Bennett <
webmas...@bennettconstruction.us> wrote:

> But before you get your hopes up, go check out the various worldwide
> community groups websites with similar attempts.
>
> Mexico, Russia, etc.
> You will find the same thing. Instructions for something to do with 5.7,
> all
> of which is no longer applicable do to the constant change in OpenBSD.

We should wait until OpenBSD is completely done before tutorials are
written :-)  Kidding...

The OpenBSD community has historically taken a different approach than That
Other Open Source OS Family, frowning on tutorials, wikis, blog howtos,
etc. in favor of saying "read the man pages, read the FAQ, read the source
code".  I suspect some of this comes from the incredible craftsmanship put
into those resources.  OpenBSD man pages are the best in the world, and I'd
defend them even against commercial Unixes.  They're the Sistine Chapel
ceiling of man pages.

So then to turn around and see howtos written by non-devs...it's kind of
like a chess book by a GM versus one by a 1100 player.  No one objects to
Michael Lucas's book because he's a fine writer.

Writing articles is not too difficult. Updating them, just doesn't happen.
> Seriously, will I really want to spend the time updating an article about
> something I now thoroughly understand and which has changed? Or would I
> really just prefer to watch the latest movie that looks good? It's just
> human
> nature.

The situation is rather different for OpenBSD vs. other FOSS.  Plenty of
people are still running Debian 7 or CentOS 5.  Those tutorials have
enduring value.  Relatively few people run OpenBSD from three or four
versions back (or at least, they shouldn't).  Debian 7 or Scientific Linux
6 or whatever is a branch with ongoing support and intended to be a lasting
product, whereas OpenBSD is always a moving target.  There are no "OpenBSD
LTS" versions.

So while I might legitimately consume a 5-year-old Linux tutorial and find
it's still very applicable if you're still on Debian 7, deploying, reading
and trying to use a 5-year-old OpenBSD tutorial would not be helpful.

Trying to form a community project outside just doesn't seem to work, sadly.

> But if you've got the desire to do something, then have at it. Just don't
> do
> a ton of hard work only to be disappointed.

I do think there's a gap between man pages/source code and practical
instructions on how to fix a problem or deploy a solution.  But the problem
you highlight is very real - things get out of date very fast.

Ultimately, this is like the thread recently on using something other than
CVS.  The onus is on the proposer to demonstrate value.

--
andrew fabbro
and...@fabbro.org