I do actually have an rk3399 (firefly) - like you I also had high hopes for it.

It's still the best out of the Arm boards I've tried, but the lanes
are shared with the GMAC on the SoC so you end up not getting what you
might hope for; you can Sorta get another Gigabit port by using the
USB-C port and a reasonably good adaptor; but latency's are all over
the board when you start to wire in the network over USB NICs.

Sustained duplex Gigabit is mostly achievable. But again for the
price/perfomance the n3160 that currently is my gateway blows it out
of the water. And the firefly was twice as expensive.