First of all, I must say that it is with genuine gratitude that I read your

Moving on...
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 3:05 PM James Huddle <james.r.hud...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> What I am trying to do (thank you Troy Martin), is work through
>> the standard answers and missteps toward a more secure OS,
>> starting with OpenBSD and a flashlight.  It is my humble opinion
>> that the optimal number of users for (say) a laptop is one.
>> And the optimal number for a server is zero.  I doubt many would
>> agree with that assessment, but I'm looking for solutions, regardless.

>I'm going to try to phrase this politely, but I might trigger other
>people to say some rude things (not sure if they'll be aimed at
>myself, or not). Anyways...  I have two hypothetical questions you
>should think about:

>1) Why do you doubt that many would agree with that assessment?
Probably the same reason that you would say "...I might trigger other
people to say some rude things..."  Often I feel that by merely stating
my opinion, here, I have opened the door to the proverbial darkroom.
Sorry!  That, and a multi-user system has been the heart and cornerstone
of Unix & co. for MILLENNIA.  That's fine.  But my laptop is not a 1985 VAX.
I just think that pushing the idea forward of using the most popular
multiuser OS in history - in single-user mode - might meet with a little
friction.

>2) Also, what is a "user"?
Good question.  I am a user.  Someone who has hacked into my multi-user
system as a different user is a user.  And apparently, so is the cups
daemon?

>If by "user" you mean "person", that leads to some lines of discussion.

>If by "user" you mean an integer value which appears under the label
>"user_id" (or some variant, such as perhaps "uid") in a C structure,
>that leads to other lines of discussion.

>If by "user" you mean a line in the /etc/passwd file which identifies
>a directory, that leads to yet other lines of discussion.

Although I have some understanding of the three discussions,
I feel that the "interchangeable parts" philosophy, which works great
for firearms technology, has created more problems than we should
be willing to accept in 21st century computing.  A user is *usually* a
human,
and might better be defined as an *owner*.  Not to be confused with
the thousands of visitors to a web site.

In short, If I am sitting at my laptop, no other humans should be
using my laptop at that time, without an arm-twisting amount of
authentication and my conscious awareness of said "other person".
Having a bunch of background processes doing human-user
things blurs that equation, unfavorably, IMO.

>From skimming this thread, I don't think you mean any of those. But if
>no one knows what you mean, it doesn't really matter whether they
>agree or disagree with you.

Hope that helps.
Weather's calling for rain.  Fingers crossed.
-Jim