On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM Samarul Meu <samarul....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much! You made my day!
> So I used FuguIta (6.8 - stable) attached the encrypted partition
> (accessible as sd1 now) and 'installboot sd1', reboot and surprise -
> everything is working. I still have no idea why detaching the softraid
> determined this kind of behavior.

Today I stumbled again on the same error, but in a different situation,
let's say.

I have installed OpenBSD 6.8 on a USB disk as a portable solution (full
disk encryption). At work I also have the same 6.8 installed on a computer
(on an encrypted partition). I booted the new USB install, I mounted the
partition from the computer to copy some settings and then detached the
device. At home I mounted the encrypted USB disk on my laptop and copied
something from it. Detached the device and all seemed OK.

But today, boy, I was for a surprise. The USB disk and the computer OpenBSD
installations were not booting. The same error as before

open(hd0a:/etc/boot.conf): Invalid argument
boot>
cannot open hd0a:/etc/random.seed: Invalid argument
booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
  failed(22). will try /bsd

For the moment I did not understand what was happening. I tried again boot>
boot sr0a:/bsd, but after a false start the system hanged. So the solution
'installboot sd2' (where sd2 is the attached encrypted partition) and now
both installed boot normally.

As I am a newbie in the OpenBSD environment I do not know if I should
reproduce:

1. attach an encrypted disk (partition) with an OpenBSD installation on
it,  let's say sd1a --- "bioctl -c C -l sd1a softraid0" --- you will get
the new sd2
2. detach the sd2 "bioctl -d sd2"
3. The OpenBSD will no longer boot.

Thank you very much for your time!