You will need a carefully curated /etc/sysclean.ignore file.

You decided to put maildirs somewhere on the system, sysclean is not
omniscient, you need to tell it to leave them alone. Same with .git directories.
I don't recall needing to tell it about package config files though, that's a
bit weird.

It's a bit daunting on first run if a lot of cruft has accumulated over the
years, but it gets better. I'm using it for years, and I can't recall the last
time I had to add anything to the ignore file.

I run it from daily and also by hand after every upgrade to a snapshot.

If it outputs a really long list I cleanup incrementally, for example:
sysclean | fgrep /usr
There really shouldn't be a false positive there, so after review I run
sysclean | fgrep /usr | xargs rm -r
next up is /etc.
If there is more output afterwards something is either very weird or an
intentional decision by me to store something in that location so it goes into
the ignore file.

--
Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse poor formatting.