On 2022-04-20 21:42 UTC, Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2022-04-20, Florian Obser <flor...@narrans.de> wrote:
>> You will need a carefully curated /etc/sysclean.ignore file.
>>
>> You decided to put maildirs somewhere on the system, sysclean is not
>> omniscient, you need to tell it to leave them alone. Same with .git
>> directories.
>> I don't recall needing to tell it about package config files though, that's
>> a bit weird.
>
> e.g. files which are added to /etc that aren't distributed in the package but
> you create yourself

Ah, yes. But it does understand directories, e.g. I have a lot of
changes in /etc/icinga2 but I don't need to ignore it. I guess that's
why I only need to ignore very little in /etc.

>> It's a bit daunting on first run if a lot of cruft has accumulated
>> over the years, but it gets better. I'm using it for years, and I
>> can't recall the last time I had to add anything to the ignore file.
>>
>> I run it from daily and also by hand after every upgrade to a snapshot.
>>
>> If it outputs a really long list I cleanup incrementally, for example:
>> sysclean | fgrep /usr
>
> For a first run I would review "| fgrep /usr/local" as that's the most likely
> place where files might exist that should not be cleaned, and it's
> easier to

tzk tzk, someone has been naughty and installed things without packages?
;)

I don't do that and I imagine if one installs compiled, dynamically
linked programs by hand sysclean's returns deminish really fast because
it won't understand that old libs are still needed.

It's an awesome tool that takles a hard problem and for me succeedes
with a bit of hand holding.

Btw. there is another school of thought that says old cruft doesn't need
to be removed, it's not causing any harm. If you need a clean system
just reinstall and restore config and data from backups. It's a good
excercise to check that your backups are working.

--
I'm not entirely sure you are real.