On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 08:24:31AM +0200, Florian Obser wrote:
> On 2022-04-20 21:42 UTC, Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> > On 2022-04-20, Florian Obser <flor...@narrans.de> wrote:
> >> You will need a carefully curated /etc/sysclean.ignore file.
> >>
> >> You decided to put maildirs somewhere on the system, sysclean is not
> >> omniscient, you need to tell it to leave them alone. Same with .git
> >> directories.
> >> I don't recall needing to tell it about package config files though,
> >> that's a bit weird.
> >
> > e.g. files which are added to /etc that aren't distributed in the package
> > but
> > you create yourself
>
> Ah, yes. But it does understand directories, e.g. I have a lot of
> changes in /etc/icinga2 but I don't need to ignore it. I guess that's
> why I only need to ignore very little in /etc.

sysclean is using PLIST information from packages for knowing what is expected
to be present or not.

so if you had to add a file/directory in /etc/sysclean.ignore whereas it should
belong to a port, it usually means a @sample or @extra entry is missing in
PLIST
:-)

> >> It's a bit daunting on first run if a lot of cruft has accumulated
> >> over the years, but it gets better. I'm using it for years, and I
> >> can't recall the last time I had to add anything to the ignore file.
> >>
> >> I run it from daily and also by hand after every upgrade to a snapshot.
> >>
> >> If it outputs a really long list I cleanup incrementally, for example:
> >> sysclean | fgrep /usr
> >
> > For a first run I would review "| fgrep /usr/local" as that's the most
> > likely
> > place where files might exist that should not be cleaned, and it's
> > easier to

/usr/local is globally ignored by sysclean. if you want to compare it with
filesets from packages, the base system carries pkg_check (with pkg_check -qF).

reviewing "| fgrep /usr" should be fine for a first run.

> tzk tzk, someone has been naughty and installed things without packages?
> ;)
>
> I don't do that and I imagine if one installs compiled, dynamically
> linked programs by hand sysclean's returns deminish really fast because
> it won't understand that old libs are still needed.

yes, it is a know drawback: if you compile locally a binary, sysclean will not
know that you still need some libraries...

I have few binaries in my $HOME for example, and I considere that sysclean
helps
to me rebuild them (because it breaks them when I remove old libc.so). Maybe
one
day I will create a (local) package for properly track them.

--
Sebastien Marie