"Allan Streib" <astr...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> If you plan to install a lot of packages, you might want make
> /usr/local bigger. If you've been upgrading from an original
> installation 5 years ago, you might eventually need to repartition as
> the original scheme was based on the old release and things change.

Luckily my dev environment is enough stable along the time, it is not
so worst. I'm looking however ahead to avoid worst symptoms at the
moment of sysupgrade. I'm on a stick and my average status during
late night upgrades is already in tension with one hand on to the phone
for the emergency service, that's it. The stick is not that big so
believing to simplify the disk layout at my few logged setups I
always cut on /usr/local, that said the stick size is always limited,
you can put on one or two mounting points but the space constraint is
still there. True, I lay part of my data on a external disk but then
what you suggest to move there from /usr ? Probably nothing, I'm
guessing..
The point is exactly that like many I do not want to to start
all over and the hope is always to find some bugs for the devs.... that
allow me to erase stuff on /usr and gain those percentage points that
give me more heart confidence.

-- Daniele Bonini