Thomas Frohwein <tfrohw...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still not sure what problem you are trying to solve... You want to
> upgrade, but are afraid of having too little space in the /usr
> partition?
>
> Frankly, having /usr/local on its own partition is exactly the kind of
> default that would protect you from /usr/local/share/gtk-docs
> impinging on your space in the /usr partition... Not sure if that
> problem situation isn't entirely self-made and you are looking for
> solving the problems of unsupported customization with even more
> unsupported customization...

I'm on a stick and I have my Xfce Mount Plugin that let me check in an
easy way how much space left on each mounting point. Especially after
an upgrade I'm usual to look ahead to find possible space problems
looking to the next upgrade, with special care to /usr that is
under pressure. I have not yet a real problem, I'm just
usual to care about this specific situation with attention.

Consider that I go ahead by battery of sticks from a lot time and this
also means that ten years ago, 64G or 128G where not affordable like
are today. And I'm not sure seen my conditions what does it matter
having two mounting points or one on /usr against my little storage
device, as my mounting points are all with very, ad-hoc, limited gbz..

Actually you seems to point to my "unsupported customization", its
okay although not fascinating..

Indeed, I point you out prbs in the hope to help and I also
investigated things on mark.info. The doc and
gtk-doc take on my little storage by their html and .png files almost
250-270M that I don't need and they are significant. As I'm not the only
one keeping the OpenBSD adventure on sticks from lot of time, and
having read some specific threads over the same concerns, I pray you to
continue to have in your heart with enough pragmatism both installation and
upgrade process also thinking to who of us are still on small storage
devices. And in the specific what go a little out the this "pragmatism"
(at my side) is to find out easy detailed arguments on how to fix and
find installations missed files when I see potential to improve stuff
how installation is done. And I mean with proper balance: no
one probably wants to find out that OpenBSD failed to support software
or to arrange dependencies, but maybe I'm neither in the need to makes
lonely eyes on garbage or forgot files taking space.

Sorry for the blust..