Anon Loli said on Wed, 26 Jun 2024 16:17:35 +0000

>Why can't I just have another drive(encrypted of course), and do
>`dd if=/dev/rsd3i of=/mnt/hdd/brokenFSimage bs=1m`

That's an excellent first step. Just make sure you get the destination
right so nothing else gets borked.

But wait. Unless that "other drive" is somehow hotpluggable (like USB),
you'll need to shut down the computer to plug it in, and it's way too
soon in this process to turn off that computer.

>the /mnt/hdd is the mountpoint of the crypto volume of the secondary
>disk, and then somehow reformat the sd2/3 (the SSD with the corrupted
>FS), and then copy over the corrupted image backup from the HDD?

The backup from your dd command isn't reliable, because garbage in
garbage out. dd makes a byte for byte copy --- it doesn't heal anything.

>(I got the adapter now, over the network it'd take many days, not
>counting broken pipes and what-not

200GB, many days? What are you dealing with, 10Mbit?

>I didn't understand 100% of what you wrote, but if I understand
>correctly this is the simpler version of what you recommended, yes?
>(no idea what ddrescue is compared to dd)

ddrescue helps with iffy disk sectors.

>In that case the worst problem then would be how to get a functioning
>filesystem out of that image of the corrupted system? (assuming the
>raw disk of the crypto volume is the image of the filesystem, should
>be)

I thought you currently have a mount of this partition that's
unencrypted. That's sure what it sounded like you said. If so, for gosh
sakes, copy all those files somewhere safe before turning off the
computer.

>Or you people keep on saying something like "do this and this and then
>backup/save files and directories", but I can't do that if I can't
>read the files directly, so how to do it indirectly?

It sounded like you were saying you have a mount with an unencrypted
version of the files. If not, please forget the step I mentioned about
rsyncing the files somewhere else.

>I copied the image with the above command to the backup drive, what
>worries me is the following size on respective disks:
>primary disk (SSD with the corrupted crypto volume filesystem): used
>220G secondary disk (the backup HDD): used 239G

I hope the capacity of that backup disk is more than 239GB, because
that would be cutting it pretty tight. Maybe you had 19GB of stuff on
the backup drive before doing this operation?

>Why is the size like 19G difference? Does it have something to do with
>me DDing over the 1st 74M of the primary disk?

OK, here I'm not understanding you at all.

And one more thing: That "backup disk", I hope it contains no files you
need for either data or the OS. I said it before and I'll say it again:
Go to the nearest computer store and buy a 1TB to 2TB USB interfaced
hard disk.

>By the way it might be my imagination, but I think that the primary
>USED size was bigger like 24 hours ago (more than 220G), but I might
>just be seeing things

?????????

By the way, you'll still have a challenge restoring the files from the
encrypted device image of the borked drive.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com