On Wednesday 13 September 2006 23:38, you wrote:
> steve szmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * Not showing all I/F's by default in ifconfig, requiring -A.
>
> This is a good thing.  Do you really want every command to just list any
> possible information in a huge mess?  Personally, I like to just get the
> info I ask for.

No, as you can see I was referring to ifconfig. When I use it I usually want
to see all the interfaces. Otherwise I agree, moderation is a good thing.

> > * Defaulting to bash, easier to use - Implemented.
>
> This never happened.  And the default shell has always been up to you,
> it asks you when you run adduser.  Its just root's default shell that
> changed to ksh, not bash.

Of course it's up to the user. Theough personally, I love that I can now type
ifconfig and it does not require -a to list.

> > * Out of date vi, harder to navigate and use, poor visual feedback.
>
> No idea what this is about.  If you are used to vim, you might like vim.
> But alot of people expect vi to be vi, and nvi is a much better vi than
> vim.  Vim doesn't even paste correctly.  If you want vim, install it
> and alias vi=vim (not for root).

Hmm, never heard of nvi.
Of course you can install whatever you want. But you may notice that was not
my point.

> > Some things are probably left with earlier versions
>
> Its not a question of newer versions, you are talking about using
> different software altogether, or adding extra "features" that many
> people would consider either not needed, or just plain bad.

Of course it is. Nah, though in the case of vim I _did_ forget it's really vim
not vi you get, OBSD is evolving like anything else. Things gets improved
upon as each release rolls out. Not keeping up with the internal development
I was curious to see about those little changes being made to ease the use.

And no, it's not a bitter complaint about this and that. OBSD is plenty good
the way it is. I have my preferences as to what I like, and others theirs.
Fortunately we can all pretty much have our own ways for a little effort.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be
capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control.
A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty.
                        From the Declaration Principles