I am seeing the same issue:

On my OBSD machine:
Using disk 1 on the openBSD 4.1 distro, it boots like a champ.
Using disk 1 on the OpenBSD 4.2 distro, it skips the cd and goes on to the next step. By Skip, my "guess" is that it doesnt find an appropriate bootblock on the cd to boot from, and then goes to the next device in the boot order.

I even went so far as to try different positions in the IDE chain for the cd drive (secondary/slave, primary/master, but no difference). I also tried disabling all other bootable devices in bios and leaving only the CD-rom as a viable boot device, and it still would not boot.

My solution was to burn cd42.iso to a cd and boot off of that. That worked well for me.

Motherboard:
tyan trinity I845e bios rev:v1.10
As found here: http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/trinityi845e.html

Answers to other questions:
- The 4.2 cd does boot sucessfully on another machine.
- I didnt move the CD-rom drive to another machine, but it seems ok, considering it boots 4.1.
- cd42.iso does boot.
- I did not see a emu or install iso on the 4.2 disk 1. (Find reveals only cd42.iso)

Hope that helps
--C
p.s. I'll send my dmesg over as well.