On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:48:20 -0400, Nick Holland wrote:

>This thread is a bit bothersome for a lot of reasons.  However, there
>is a lack of hard info so far.

Well, I read Theo's message and I know we can't ask for any changes to
the issue CDs.
Shit happens.

I just get my terrier genes showing a bit because it's a challenge.
Don't like being locked out of solutions and knowing what is needed to
prevent repetition. So I have done a bit of detective work and maybe it
will get shot down or else it will pop up one of those cartoon
lightbulbs for somebody who will then improve my education by informing
me about the rest of the story.

Here is what I know so far about the differences in the CDs that boot
or don't on older machines:

All the CDs that boot have a copy of the cdbr content before 64MB from
the start of the CD whereas the 4.2 release has it located at
76,398,592 bytes in.

I have used (in addition to 4.2 Official build 375) snapshots for
kernel build 372, 373, 374 and 461.

372, 373 and 374 all have the cdbr code at 60,293,120 bytes and 461 has
it at 60,854,272 and all of those boot.

Here is what I don't know (about this issue, not LTUAE!):

Is 67,108,864 a possible barrier for old BIOSes ?

Do we have any way to predetermine where that code will be located on
the CD?

Am I chasing a red herring?

I'd like to keep a bunch of low(er) powered servers going for a while
and I as I said earlier I can do it without a bootable CD even tho'
those boxes (except one) don't have a floppy drive either.

My concern is more for some young guys with only one old dumpster
surprise and no previous experience with OpenBSD, trying to give it a
try using a buddy's CD.

Apart from my mad curiosity, of course!

Rod/
(Please reply to the list even if it's Theo or Nick telling me to let
go of it.)

--
"Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever."  - Anonymous