Hi,

On 29/10/2007, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This thread is a bit bothersome for a lot of reasons.  However, there
> is a lack of hard info so far.
>
> When you say it isn't booting the CD, what does this mean?  Does it try
> but fail with some error?  Does it not even stop at the CD on the way
> to attempting to boot the hard disk?

The bios tries to boot, but does not find the CD bootable and falls
back on the hard disk.

> And let's see what the actual scope of the problem is:
>
> Does the official CD boot?  (I think the point of this thread
> is for some people, no it doesn't).

No. Not on 2 machines I tried on the other day, but it does boot on my
main deskto pand laptop (2 completely different, more modern
machines).

> Does a copy of the official CD boot?  (Is there any error reported
> when trying to make a copy?)

Unsure, havent tried.

> For the people that say the official CD doesn't boot, do they have other
> machines they /can/ boot the official CD?

Yes

> If people are spotting some machines that do and some that don't, what
> happens if you move the CD drive from one that does boot to one that
> doesn't?  Does the problem follow the machine or the drive?

I have tried multiple cd drives.

> Does a CD made from install42.iso boot?

unsure.

> Does a CD made from cd42.iso boot?

unsure

> Does a CD made from cdemu42.iso boot?

unsure - I have no CDR's to try this out...

> If install42.iso or cd42.iso boot, don't be looking for code changes,
> sounds like we had a bum pressing of CDs or some other "quirk" in the
> way the master was made, as they all use the same boot process.  Still
> needs to be identified and fixed for 4.3, but it wouldn't be a code
> problem.
>
> Nick.

Yes, perhaps it is something obscure in manufacturing. Could be a
change of the brand of media for example, or something strange.

Not a lot we can do about it.

--
Best Regards

Edd