On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 06:07:00PM -0500, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
> Insan Praja SW wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 03:17:57 +0700, FRLinux <frli...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As far as I know, home built kernel is not supported, you need to try
>>> out a snapshot instead and see if it works.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steph
>>
>> You are right, but I always had a backup of last working kernel, and
>> that is what I use now. But this panic happens and I like to report it
>> to see if anyone else experiencing the same panic, with home build
>> kernel or snapshot. It's a generic kernel, anyway, I hope I can
>> contribute in some other way, you know.. like testing diff or finding
>> bugs.
>> I also use sendbug(1) to report the panic.
>> Thanks,
>
> You just don't built home build kernel at all. This is really not linux
> here. You can configure all you want on it as is.

So what if I want debug symbols to produce meaningful traces
from kernel core dumps with gdb? Then I have to compile with
DEBUG="-g" to get a bsd.gdb. Then I have a self-compiled kernel
already.

And what if I'm testing diffs posted to t...@?
When testing diffs you usually don't only run them for 5 minutes.
You usually run them for as long as you can.

I guess these faq entries are there to stop people from tweaking
the config so hard that their machine cannot boot anymore, and
then reporting this as a bug. They don't exist to stop people who
somewhat know what they are doing from reporting things they find
in kernels they've compiled themselves.

And note that there have recently been changes in the way pf
keeps track of icmp, so this may well be a valid report.

Stefan