On Thu, 21 May 2009, Obiozor Okeke wrote:

Hi Diana (and Stuart) thanks for all your advice.

The problem or nut we're trying to crack is that we're trying
to deploy OpenBSD to remote clients and we wanted an inexpensive
but very high reliability system with the flexibility to change
configurations (switch in/out different VMs) and add/modify services
remotely on-the-fly.  For example we could upgrade a client from
4.A4 to 4.5 along with all the custom apps and client data packaged
in a VM.  We would grab the old 4.4 VM bring it back to our lab, then
upgrade and re-configure it the way we wanted to and drop it back on
the ESXi.  Then just change the network configs and switch the old for
the new all remotely without ever visiting the client

Thanks again all.

If you want to stick with the Soekris you might want to consider
basing your solution on flashboot,
http://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/flashboot/2009-May/000223.html .

Using a CF with multiple partitions would allow you to upgrade
remotely the flashboot kernel.  Of course this would take some work
to fine tune the upgrade procedure to minimize failure mechanisms.

diana