Couldn't agree more, but for the first steps this does not apply.
It's far easier to start in a project when you have someone telling you what
needs to be done,
the first step is the hardest, if we could ease it, the rest would come
naturally.

I strongly believe the bug tracking should be that list.

Would be great if the devs would open more bugs, even things that aren't
critical, it could be
very small things that they lack the time to do it, at the same time it
would work as an entry
point for that part of the project. Could be things like:
"Clean code at foo.c" : "Take a look at foo.c and remove/clean all the
redundant code"
"Port driver y from xbsd" : "We need support for cards blablablabla"

It's hard to know what you wan't to do when you barely know what needs to be
done and
what could be done.

--
Christiano Farina Haesbaert

I'm very motivated to help out. I'm very eager to do something useful when I have free time, which comes in big bunches together. I don't need something glamorous or sexy. I know very well that I am like the little kid among the grown-ups, as it were! So it would be very helpful for people like me who aren't programming gods to have someone take us by the hand and tell us what we should do to help!

I see lots of stuff digging around that I don't understand and I don't even know if it's good stuff or just leftover legacy stuff that I should ignore.

Chris Bennett

  -- Robert Heinlein