On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:13:47PM +0200, Jean-Frangois SIMON wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am runing VLC under fvwm but could not have any sound.
>
> Are things working by default or there might be something to tune in
> general, or in my case ?

in most cases, yes. But on certain devices, you may have to
start aucat(1) in server mode, if the application you uses
requires sample formats not supported by the device. AFAIK
it's not your case.

does the following produce sound?

        cat /bsd >/dev/audio

if not, try setting all ``mute'' knobs to ``off'' (eg.
``mixerctl outputs.headphones.mute=off''), tweak the mixer
until you get sound with the above command.

once sound works, if vlc still doesn't work, try:

        $ SIO_DEBUG=1 vlc

and see if there are sound related error messages.

-- Alexandre