On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Jacob Meuser <jake...@sdf.lonestar.org>
wrote:

> well thank you for greatly narrowing down the problem.  can you play
> other OGG files with artsplay?

Apparently not.  I started artsd with debug options and when I try to
play with artsplay I just get static noise.  Here is artsd output (not
sure if it will help):

[artsd: 23458] SoundServerStartup <-- released lock
UnixManager: got notifyIO
socketconnection created, fd = 11
search playobject, extension = ogg
creating xineAudioPlayObject to play file
/usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Warp.ogg
job finished
UnixManager: got notifyIO
socketconnection created, fd = 11
search playobject, extension = ogg
creating xineAudioPlayObject to play file
/usr/local/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/battery-low.ogg
job finished

Each of these just produced noise.  However, when I play a .wav file,
I get a different output from artsd:

UnixManager: got notifyIO
socketconnection created, fd = 11
search playobject, extension = wav
creating Arts::audiofilePlayObject to play file
/usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Window_Close.wav
  frame size: 4
  channels: 2
  bits: 16
job finished