This sounds like a very solvable problem unless it is a proprietary
database.

Nope. It's just MySQL. The only proprietary software I have to run on Solaris and that I wish I could run in OpenBSD is Broadworks from Broadsoft for VoIP. But I am dreaming to be able to do that!?

If you have a suggestion for the database I am all ears! (;> I even sent a few emails for ideas in the last 10 years on the subject without any success yet.

This is how I do it and I sent that to MySQL list in 1999. Many users looks like use my suggestion to do the same. Works very well for everyone and is a big time savers I must admit.

http://lists.mysql.com/myodbc/638

Best,

Daniel