* Focus the other right pane.
* Click the feature icon that has the left pane with desired drop target
(for example, a crate in the Crates tree). This has the side effect of
opening the feature's right pane as well.
* Drag and drop easily between left & right.
* When a different left pane is desired, click the corresponding feature
icon.

This works well for design goal #1 but does not accomplish design goal
#2. The most intuitive way to accomplish design goal #2 would be to open
the left pane for a feature when its corresponding right pane is
focused. Currently, users must click the feature icon for the feature
with the left pane they want to access.

This creates a confusing situation because clicking the feature icons
has two different purposes: opening a left & right pane for a feature
that is not open, plus opening a left pane for a feature that already
has a right pane open. This is especially a problem for unstickied
features (currently only Crates and Playlists) because the user has to
be careful to focus the right pane that already has that feature open
before clicking the feature icon. Otherwise, clicking the feature icon
will open the desired left pane but also open the undesired right pane
where the focus currently is, hiding a right feature pane the user may
have wanted to keep open.

However, the obvious way for accomplishing design goal #2 (opening the
left pane for a feature when its right pane is focused) would make the
steps outlined above for design goal #1 impossible. There already is
another way to drag & drop many tracks between many crates (#1) though:

* Click the feature icon corresponding to the right pane with the
desired item to drag (for example, a track in Library).
* Drag a track from the right pane
* Hover cursor over feature icon for the feature that has the left pane
with the desired drop target (for example, Crates list)
* Desired left pane opens, mouse can be released onto drop target

If the user clicks again on a new item in the right pane, the left pane
that opened by hovering the cursor for the first drag & drop operation
stays open. The focus has not shifted between the two right panes. This
makes it easy to do many more drag & drop operations without having to
hover over a feature icon every time. The problem is that this is not
easily discoverable. However, I doubt this is something that many users
will want to do live or even every day. So, I think it will be okay as
long as this way of dragging & dropping many tracks is documented in the
manual.