> It sound like you are strongly supporting "A feature is opened in the
> focused tab without any exceptions" right?
> Since this is exactly what causes issues for my drunken eyes ;-)

Yes I am :)
What you want is to always have certain features at the same place.
Your way to guarantee this is: "if a feature gets hidden, make it appear
where it was". This is the root of the behaviors that annoy me :)

I truly believe there is a way to guarantee the same without the current
unintuitive behavior (yes, unintuitiveness might subjective here, but I bet
you a beer we'll get lots of complaints in our forum)

I assume you are thinking about a context menu item "open in a new Tab",
> right?

Yes. Or open a new tab and then select the desired feature.

> Than we will have n panes arranged in tabs, we have it somehow already
> since we are already supporting n panes. Not sure, but I think it is
> already a skin option. Instead of switching a tab, you could today collapse
> on pane by the splitter to simulate the tab behaviour.
> Interesting is the right click idea.
> "open in pane 1/2" could be a nice addition.

It is not the same. Imagine you have Library in first right pane and AutoDj
in the second left pane. Then you open a new tab on the second left pane
(auto-dj tab gets hidden) and select another feature there. While auto-dj
tab is hidden, no matter whatever you do, it remains there. And the only
thing you have to do to bring it back where it was is to click its tab.
That's the key point. It's similar to pin a pane, but since you have
another tab on that pane you can reuse it.

I think this covers your use case and fulfills your requirements. But it
can done with "new feature is always open where focus is", which is mine :)
Don't you agree?