Hi Andrew -

        Thanks for the very interesting posting!

> From: Andrew Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Then -4 4 -2 4 and -r 8 or -r 0 are your friends.  Crank the bitrate ceiling
> to 10Mbps , set -q around 5 and enjoy...  don't forget to capture at a decent
> quality setting (-q 50 or so).
>
> I am starting work on mpeg2enc seriously again now.  There should be some
> speed improvements for "high speed quick and dirty encoding" as an early
> side-effect of some internal changes.

        I've noticed that for larger frame sizes (DVD) the difference in size
        between B frames and P frames is usually fairly small.

        Would it speed up the encoding process if B frames did not have to
        be computed?    The resulting filesize of course would be larger but
        there might be times when the tradeoff would be acceptable.   Are B
        frames _required_?