On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:16:18AM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:

> If you just want a PVR, then why not keep the recording in mjpeg form?

Several reasons...

> Sure
> it takes up more space then mpeg2,

Way more!

> but what costs more, a 100GB+ ide drive or
> a hardware mpeg2 compression card?

At the difference in space usage, disk.  I have a 5:27s clip here
that I was testing with.  It is 720x480, default lavrec jpeg quality
(50% I think it is isn't it?).  It is 917MB in size.  I converted it
to MPEG2 @ 4500kb/s video, 128kb/s audio and it reduced to 187MB.
That's less than 1/5th the size and the quality is much more than I
need.  Keeping a couple of dozen MJPEGs around would just not be
feasible.

> Of course hardware mpeg for linux isn't
> possible at this time anyway,

Have you seen any of the discussion recently about the PVR 250?

> but large harddrives work fine, so it's not like
> that's even a real choice.

Hard drives are not large enough.  at 12 GB/h, if I wanted to keep 24
hours of MJPEGs, I would need 288GB.  At C$2.50/G, that's C$720.  I
can get a PVR 250 for about C$250.

> I haven't been following the thread that closely, but have you tried mpeg2enc
> without using any scaling or de-noising?

I have not tried any of those.  I am doing a straight

$ lav2yuv | mpeg2enc

> Those steps are very cpu intensive
> and if you're not looking for quality...

And mpeg2enc is intensive enough on it's own.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell