On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:40:01AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Try lowering the resolution
>
> I'd really rather not reduce the resolution.  You lose half of the temporal
> information doing that.

Have you actually compared the quality of captures at decimation 2 vs. an
mpeg2 created from a decimation 1 source?  At d2 you'll use 1/3 the space
and the quality is really still quite good.  If you really still don't want
to lower the resolution maybe you could encode in mpeg4?  The speed is quite
a bit better than mpeg2 and the quality at lower bit rates is pretty good.

> But I refer back to my previous message about how much more CPU
> intensive MJPEG seems to be vs. MPEG2.

Also partly solved by going to d 2.   You might also want to try a different
codec/plugin for playback.  If you've got the binary win32 codecs installed
try playback with mjpeg or m3jpeg.  Both seem faster than ffmpegs mjpeg
decompressor.

--
Ray