On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Ray Cole wrote:

> I downloaded the source and built it.  It seems to run about 4x slower
>  than 1.6.1.  Any ideas?

        Get a new watch? ;-)    With out some numbers I find it very
        difficult to believe "4x slower".

        For full sized DVD frames around 5 to 6  frames/sec or so is
        normal  with ~2.4GHz systems.   Of course the time will depend on
        if you're using any of the filtering programs such as yuvdenoise.
        With a dual cpu system the filters will use up one cpu while the
        encoder uses the other (and a bit more since it's threaded).

        That would mean you were seeing 20 frames/sec with 1.6.1?   I
        seriously doubt that - I'd like faster encoding but mpeg2enc
        has never gotten up to that range on 720x480 or 720x756(PAL)
        sized data.

        A couple things to make sure are being used are "-M 2" with the
        encoder, and put a buffering stage in front of the encoder.  I
        use the 'bfr' program

                http://www.glines.org:8000/software/buffer.html

        something like " ... | bfr -10m | mpeg2enc ..." is the typical
        usage.   If the encoder is stalling for input due to latency in
        earlier stages of the pipeline then 'bfr' will be of good value.

        Some timings of the same pipeline would be helpful of course ;)