On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Ray Cole wrote:

> Here's the command line I used on the old one vs the new:
>
> Old Command:
>  nice mpeg2enc -f 8 -b ${aRate} -V 230 -n n -s -a 2 -g 6 -G 18 -I 0  \
>            -r 24 -4 2 -2 2 -F 1 -p -v 0 -o ${aName}.m2v
>
> New Command:
> nice mpeg2enc -f 9 -b ${aRate} -V 230 -n n -s -a 2 -g 6 -G 18 -I 0  \
>            -r 24 -4 2 -2 2 -N 1.50 -Q 1.00 -v 0 -p -F 1 -o ${aName}.m2v

        -N 1.5 is a bit aggressive (but is the same as the old -N though),
        1.0 would achieve most of the bitrate reduction but better looking
        output.

> I also noticed that using either -f8 or -f9 that something wasn't quite
>  right with some sort of timestamps.  I did a 'mplayer test.m2v
> -ss 15:00' for example and that really took me about 45 minutes into
>  themovie (maybe a little further).  This worked when I encoded using
> the older version of mpeg2enc, doesn't with the new.

        Possible to set the line length to something closer to 80 or so?
        That paragraph came out as a single very long line...

        The problem's with mplayer's seeking.   Mplayer probably isn't
        using the timestamps but is instead assuming CBR and a fixed
        GOP size and positioning accordingly.   With VBR and variable
        GOP sizes seeking is a bit trickier - it's (almost) necessary
        to sequentially scan the file looking for the correct timestamp.

        DVDs produced with the new encoder work flawlessly in standalone
        players whereas the older mplex/mpeg2enc did have issues in
        that area.   Sounds like bugs in the older version interacted
        with mplayer to accidentally get the desired result ;)

        I'd have to check what the maximum GOP size is for NTSC DVDs -
        thought it was 15 intead of 18 but I might be misremembering
        that though.

        What's the speed of the cpu being used?   The command looks
        ok and I'd expect somewhere around 6 frames/sec or so on a
        2.xGHz system.