On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Ray Cole wrote:

> It went from 6 hours encoding a 2 hour movie to 24 hours (total time
> includes filters, which I did not change filters between tests).
> top shows mpeg2enc using 99% of the CPU (which I would expect).  I
> don't see any dip in CPU usage so I don't believe I'm seeing a stall but
am willing to try.

        200 char lines are a bit much...

        Any how, that kind of performance dropoff would indicate that
        Bernhard's suggestion that the MMX optimizations are not being
        used.

        When mpeg2enc starts up do you see lines like the following?

   INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING 3DNOW and EXTENDED MMX for QUANTIZER!
   INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
   INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX for TRANSFORM!
   INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!

        If not then the MMX/3DNOW instructions are not being used and
        that will cause a major slowdown.

        It sounds like the cpu detection isn't working right on your
        system or 'nasm' isn't installed so that the assembly portions
        can be built.