> I tried to build the mjpegtools from CVS.
> Unfortunately, I could not run
> autogen.sh successfully. The most important error:
>
> HAVE_PNG not defined in AM_CONDITIONAL
>
> What is going wrong? I have installed libpng-devel.

I, too, have a heck of a time building from CVS, and
I'm supposed to be a developer. :-)

Most of the time, I find that I have to
upgrade/downgrade my version of the various build
tools mjpegtools needs.  This is building on my
system, which is Red Hat 9 with elements of Fedore
Core blended in.

libtool-libs-1.5.6-4
libtool-1.5.6-4
automake-1.7.8-1